Teaching & Learning
“The quality of teaching and classroom support, including that in the inclusion Hub, is good, with examples of inspiring and thought-provoking practice.” (OFSTED, 2014)
Our school is organised into three stages: Foundation Stage (Early Years), Key Stage 1 (Years 1 & 2), and Key Stage 2 (Years 3 to 6). We follow the National Curriculum in each stage.
If you’d like more detail on what individual year groups cover, click here to visit our Class Pages.
The Christ Church Curriculum
No matter the child’s age, we are committed to developing their core skills of Literacy and Numeracy. However, our school also appreciates the importance of providing everyone with a broad and experiential curriculum. As such, we offer an education packed with hands-on experiences that encourage children to make connections across every subject. This offers an opportunity to learn beyond the classroom, too.
Additionally, the Christ Church curriculum reflects our passion for the performing arts and Music. We strongly believe in an inclusive learning environment which allows all children to access the curriculum. This is reflected through our mission statement where we celebrate their achievements and encourage them to have high aspirations (you can see these ideals represented through our ‘Learning Hands’ pictured in the sidebar on the right).
More specifically, our curriculum encourages children to:
- Be curious
- Develop resilience and be reflective
- Be computer literate (and be able to use use new technologies that may not have been invented yet!)
- Be independent learners
- Have good relationships with others
- Be competent readers, writers, and mathematicians
- Be spiritual
- Embrace our differences
- Have strong moral values
- Be aware of the positives surrounding cultural diversity
- Develop physically and encourage healthy lifestyles
- Prepare for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life
- Take responsibility for themselves and their own learning
- Be able to communicate effectively, including learning another language
- Be creative thinkers
- Experience high quality Arts and Music provision
- Make links in our learning
- Follow scientific and geographic enquiry
- To have a sense of place in history
- Strive for excellence in all that we do
If you’d like to know more, our ‘Curriculum Map’ provides an overview of the subjects covered between Year 1 and Year 6. This should give an understanding about how the children progress from one year group to the next as we build upon their skills and experiences.